Brigadier General Christoph Pliet is Deputy Commander of the Deployable Air Command and Control Centre in Poggio Renatico, Italy.
He was born in Tettnang, Germany on 11 September 1962. He and his wife Bettina have two children.
He started his career in the German Air Force in 1980 and became a fighter weapon systems officer in 1984. After earning his wings, he served ten years as an Instructor Weapons Systems Officer, Training Officer and Executive Officer in the 31st Fighter Bomber Wing, Kerpen, Germany.
Following this assignment, he was selected to attend the Federal Armed Forces General Staff College in Hamburg, Germany. During his career, Brigadier General Pliet served in various command assignments from group commander to wing commander. Before coming to the Deployable Air Command and Control Centre, he was Branch Chief, Ministry of Defence, Planning Directorate and Capability Management of Command and Control, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaisance Branch. He was capability manager of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaisance as well as Command and Control platforms, responsible for requirements.
His operational assignments include Deputy Division Chief of Bundeswehr Joint Forces Operations Command, where he was responsible for the planning of Bundeswehr Operations, Stabilization, Balkans. He also served as Base Defence Commander and Wing Commander, Operations Wing, Mazar-e Sharif, Afghanistan.
Brigadier General Pliet is a command weapon systems officer with more than 2,000 flying hours and over 70 combat hours in a Tornado.
1984 German Air Force Academy
1996 Federal Armed Forces General Staff College
2006 NATO Defense College, Rome
1. 1980 – 1984, Student, German Air Force Academy, Fürstenfeldbruck, Germany.
2. 1984 – 1994, Instructor Weapons System Officer, Training Officer and Executive Officer, 31st Fighter Bomber Wing, Kerpen, Germany.
3. 1994 – 1996, Student, Federal Armed Forces General Staff College, Hamburg, Germany.
4. 1996 – 1998, Branch Chief, Combined Air Operations Centre, Messstetten, Germany.
5. 1998 – 2001, Operations Group Commander, Reconnaissance Wing 51, Kropp, Germany.
6. 1999 – 2000, Commander, Operations Wing 1, Kosovo Force (KFOR), Piacenza, Italy.
7. 2001 – 2002, Assistant Branch Chief, Air Force Staff, Ministry of Defence, Bonn, Germany.
8. 2002 – 2003, Assistant Branch Chief, German Armed Forces Staff, Ministry of Defence, Bonn, Germany.
9. 2003 – 2005, Military Assistant to Vice Chief of Staff Bundeswehr, Ministry of Defence, Bonn, Germany
10. 2006 – 2006, Staff Assistant to Chief of Staff, Air Force Command, Cologne, Germany.
11. 2006 – 2008, Commander, Fighter Bomber Wing 33, Büchel, Germany.
12. 2007 – 2008, Commander, Operations Wing, Masar-e Sharif, Afghanistan.
13. 2008 – 2009, Deputy Division Chief J5, Bundeswehr Joint Forces Operations Command, Potsdam, Germany.
14. 2010 – 2012, Division Chief J3, Bundeswehr Response Forces Operations Command, Ulm, Germany.
15. 2012 – 2016, Branch Chief, NATO HQ SACT, Norfolk, Virginia USA.
16. 2016 – 2018, Branch Chief, Planning Directorate/Capability Management C2 and ISR Branch, Ministry of Defence, Bonn, Germany.
17. 2018 – present, Deputy Commander Deployable Air Command and Control Centre, Poggio Renatico, Italy.
Rating: Command Weapon Systems Officer
Flight hours: 2000+
Aircraft Flown: Tornado, A-Jet, T-37, T-43 and P-149.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Cross of Honor of the Bundeswehr in Gold
German Armed Forces Deployment Medal SFOR
German Armed Forces Deployment Medal ISAF
NATO Medal SFOR
NATO Medal ISAF
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant 1983
First Lieutenant 1985
Brigadier General 2018