Brigadier General Andrew P. Hansen is the Deputy Chief of Staff Operations at NATO's Headquarters Allied Air Command, Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
General Hansen is responsible to the Commander Allied Air Command for all operational matters, including Air Policing, Ballistic Missile Defence, Article 5 and Crisis Response Operations.
He is also responsible for ensuring Headquarters Allied Air Command is prepared to establish an Air Operations Centre if required for an emerging Contingency Operation. In his previous assignment, General Hansen had been the Director, United States Air Forces in Europe-United Kingdom.
General Hansen entered the Air Force in 1992 as a distinguished graduate of the University of Colorado Reserve Officer Training Corps program. He earned his navigator wings in 1995 and went on to earn his pilot wings in 1999. General Hansen has held a variety of leadership positions to include the Commander, 18th Aggressor Squadron, Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, Director of Operations, Cyber National Mission Force, Fort George G. Meade, Maryland, Vice Commander, 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa Air Base, Japan and Commander, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea.
1992 Bachelor of Science degree , Computer Science, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo.
2002 Master of Science, Aeronautical Science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2008 Master of Science, Computer Science, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
2012 Master of Science, Joint Campaign Planning and Strategy, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, National Defense University, Norfolk, Va.
1. March 1993 – August 1994, Chief Operations Section HQ AFROTC, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2. August 1994 – March 1995, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. March 1995 – May 1996, Student, Joint Navigator / Electronic Warfare Officer Training, Pensacola NAS, Fla.
4. May 1996 – January 1997, Student, F-15E Replacement Training Unit, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. January 1997 – July 1998, F-15E Weapon System Officer and Squadron Electronic Warfare Officer, 335th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. July 1998 – March 2000, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
7. March 2000 – February 2001, Student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, Luke AFB, Az.
8. February 2001 – January 2003, F-16 Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, 510th Fighter Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
9. January 2003 – May 2006, 57th Wing Chief of Flight Safety / Assistant Ops Officer, 64th Aggressor Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. May 2006 - June 2008, Student, Intermediate Developmental Education, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. June 2008 – July 2009, Operations Officer, 18th Aggressor Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
12. July 2009 – July 2011, Commander, 18th Aggressor Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
13. July 2011 – June 2012, SDE Student, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va.
14. June 2012 – June 2013, Deputy Chief, Plans Division, United States Cyber Command, Fort Meade, Md.
15. June 2013 – June 2014, Director of Operations, Cyber National Mission Force, Fort Meade, Md.
16. June 2014 – June 2015, Vice Commander, 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa AB, Japan
17. June 2015 – August 2017, Commander, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
18. August 2017 – May 2018, Director, Joint and National Security Council Matters, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
19. May 2018 – Feb 2019, Director, United States Air Forces in Europe-United Kingdom, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England
20. March 2019 – Present, Deputy Chief of Staff Operations, Headquarters Allied Air Command, Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2012 – June 2013, Deputy Chief, Plans Division, United States Cyber Command, Fort Meade, Md.
2. June 2013 - June 2014, Director of Operations, Cyber National Mission Force, Fort Meade, Md.
3. March 2019 – Present, Deputy Chief of Staff Operations, Headquarters Allied Air Command,
Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 2,300
Aircraft Flown: F-15E and F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 22, 1993
First Lieutenant Jan. 22, 1995
Captain Jan. 22, 1997
Major June 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2008
Colonel Oct. 1, 2013
Brigadier General Oct. 2, 2018
(Biography current as of February 2021)